RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Friday, December 5, 2008

Some Thoughts from the last tourney

Its been about a week from the time I played the Pokerstars Sunday Million and I wanted to write down some observations and notables that happened during the tourney

I was the one who busted out Rainkhan somewhere in the middle of the tourney. For those of you who are not familiar. Hevad Khan is a well known online poker pro who was once thought to be a poker bot because of the number of tables he played. He is also part of Team Pokerstars and has won millions of dollars online and in live tourneys.

Nothing to crow about really. I didn't outplay him or anything. I just happened to have the right cards at the right time. Middle position and I get AAs. I raise the standard 3xBB. He was in late position and 3 bets me. I had him covered and pretend to tank for awhile then I push all in. He pauses for about 1o seconds then calls. He shows 88s. No improvement and I bust him out.

The other thing that struck me was how aggressive everybody was especially after the bubble burst. I was low stacked just looking for a good place to push and I couldn't find one. Everytime I had a semi decent hand like Ax. Somebody would put up a raise and somebody would reraise which would force me to fold.

I understand about the value of being the first one in (First-In Vigorish) but everytime action was folded to me, I would have super crappy hands like 4-7 off suit. In the end, I probably moved up a few places higher because I couldn't push properly, but it may have ended up costing me the double-up that I needed to advance much further in the tourney. Oh well, lesson learned for next time.

I also realized that I need to master the skill of 3 betting. There were numerous instances where people raised but seems like 80% of the time, those who raised would always fold to a reraise. Now I am absolutely sure that much of those reraise bets were also crappy hands because it happened almost every other hand and the incidence of getting monsters is way too small for it to justify the number of reraises that were going on. So this is something that I'll have to read up on.

I'm currently trying to win another 200+15 ticket thru the SNG steps as I believe the Christmas holidays would afford me another crack at the Sunday Million. =)

No comments: