RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Top 10 things I've learned playing online poker

Since I just finished a short retrospective, I wanted to do a post on things that I've learned playing online poker.

In the short time that I have been playing, I have learned a lot and I wanted to take time to just put down some of the things I feel are important. Most of these you've probably heard before and some may be cliches, but personally these are the ones that have sticked with me so let me just list them down in no particular order.

1. A long pause before a call by an opponent is NOT a weak hand tell. It is not a sign of someone who is not sure if his hand is good. It is most often an opponent trying to disguise a very strong hand like a set.

2. Online poker is not rigged. Sometimes it may feel like it esp. after receiving bad beat after bad beat. But if you take time to analyze it, the poker sites make more money by keeping everything honest.

3. Taking a break when you're on a losing streak is the best way to break that streak

4. Your gut instinct is almost always correct. Learning to trust it is one of the more important lessons in online poker. If it screams fold, even if you have top pair top kicker, you should listen.

5. Poket Aces are not invincible. Having them cracked is one of the more common events in poker. You say 'nice hand' and walk away knowing you played the best hand and chances are next time they will hold up.

6. Playing Ace-rag (even if they are suited) at the beginning of tourneys or SNGs is the best way to lose majority of your chips. But the hand becomes your savior during the push/fold stage.

7. Suited connectors are overrated. Reading about their value in Super System doesn't make it gospel. I've lost more than won playing them. I'm not saying they are not playable, but as beginners, stay away. Your bankroll will thank you for it.

8. The value of position. All the books preach it but its hard to appreciate what they're talking about when you are just starting out. Read the lessons on position again after you've played a 100 games. Read them again when you reach 200. You will realize that it is one of the most important things in poker.

9. Quality over quantity. Just because we read about these foreign guys who play 8 games simultaneously doesn't mean they win more. Try to concentrate on every game. Sometimes a good read of an opponent is the difference between ITM and 4th.

10. Satellites are valuable to a small stakes player. Play them to try and get into big tournaments. You never know what will happen. You may get lucky and once is all you need..

OK. Disclaimer time. I do not pretend to be an expert. I have not even approached half of the games of the other bloggers. These are just my personal ramblings. So heed them at your own peril. Remember that this is my own blog and I can pretty much write whatever I want..... =D

1 comment:

Ordnacin said...

LOL I used to do that pause thing fake out. Usually it's wait till the last second then raise. I thought I was being smart then now I know it's an obvious tell on my part...

ONLINE POKER IS RIGGED I TELL YA!

--- 11Finger