RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Friday, December 12, 2008

Shitty Schedule

I just noticed that all my post titles for December started with the letter 'S'. So I decided to just continue with this set-up for the rest of the month. Let's see if I can at least make the title related to the post.

Before anything else, what pinoy blog would be complete without a brief mention of the Pacquiao annihilation of Dela Hoya. I know its a little late but hey what can you do. Every boxing expert said it was going to be a mismatch and it turns out they were right, only it was the other way around. The main man from the Philippines totally dominated the Golden Boy and in the end, DLH quit and no longer stood up for the 9th round.

No matter how ugly it looked. I can understand the reason why the corner and DLH threw in the towel. Even with the huge humiliation that was about to happen. Boxers are supposed to be these gladiators who fight to the end. DLH had no choice. He was being pounded black and blue and had no chance of winning. He already booked $20M ++ from the fight win or lose. Why would he risk getting damaged permanently or even knocked out on his ass ?

Obviously for Pacquiao, it was the biggest win of his career and opens up lots of opportunities including a mega bucks fight with Floyd Mayweather who appears to have decided to unretire to face the Pacman.

The only negative thing I can see from the result of the fight is that it financially weakens boxing as a sport in general. No matter what we say about Dela Hoya. People from around the world paid good money to see him fight. With the rising popularity of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and its encroachment into boxing's profits , I don't think anybody can match DLH's popularity and charisma. Even if we treat Pacquiao like a god here in the Philippines, the average American may not pay the extra $50 for a PPV fight of Pacquiao. I know its kind demented, but that's how the boxing business goes and some of it is admittedly racial prejudice to the smaller Asian fighters.

In other news, as you can see above, I registered for the Pokerstars Blogger's Tourney which is starting next week. This is the first time I am playing this tournament and hopefully I do well. It seems that every blogger has six chances to make it to the finals as there are six qualifiers in different poker disciplines. I myself am only planning to play the NLHE events. Although I know how to vaguely play Omaha and I would want to take every chance to qualify. The shitty early morning schedule is just a killer. I don't think I can wake up early 6 days in a row to play a qualifying tourney and still go to work. So I have decided to just play NLHE although I do think one has a better chance in Omaha if you are good at it just because less people will be playing and there will be lots of dead money from people who are just trying it because its free.

Anyway, Good luck to everybody who will be playing in the events !!

No comments: