RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Monday, February 11, 2008

Mission Accomplished or Wasted Opportunity?

11finger made a very interesting comment during my last post. I was sort of bitching about the bonus scheme of Full Tilt and how it was not tailored to the playing frequency & limits of a player. I kinda thought that this was just laziness as it is quite easy to get the data from your historical database and program the algorithm granting bonuses based on exhorting a player to play 2 or 3x his normal playing frequency.


He commented in FTP's defense that they did get me to play twice my usual rate so mission accomplished for them. Which is true but I see a lot of wasted opportunity in this seemingly random bonus granting.



Let's take the recent bonus that I just got. $75 bonus to be cleared in 10 days.


What happened was that I tried to take advantage of the bonus and played around twice my usual rate which still only cleared me $15 in 10 days. Let's break down the numbers


My usual rate is around 3 SNGs a day at the $11+1 turbos. So without the bonus scheme in place, I would have normally generated FTP a 10-day rake of $30 (3 SNGs X $1 rake X 10 days)


With the bonus scheme in place, I played twice my usual rate which would result in a total rake of $60 for FTP. (6SNGs x $1 rake x 10 days)


So their additional rake during this bonus period was 60-30 = $30. Then we need to deduct the $15 bonus that they granted to me so net additional profit for FTP is $15.


This $15 was something they would not have gotten without the bonus promotion so good idea yung bonus granting. Multiply this by the number of people they gave it out to and its a pretty big amount.


But think about it, what if they had given me a bonus structure that was tailored to my frequency. I see no logical sense for the $75. What if they gave me a bonus scheme of $40 dollars to be cleared in 20 days. Then this would have generated more profit for them. I would have reached to clear $40 and their net additional profit would have been bigger.


And its a win-win situation. Player is happy because he got the complete bonus. FTP is happy because they generated additional rake and profit that they normally would not have had. The additional rake will always be more than the granted bonus anyway as long as you keep the timespan short so nothing to lose and everything to gain.


So actually yun lang. I am not sourgraping about the unfulfilled bonus. It just bugs me that its kind of inefficient.

4 comments:

ivegotdnuts said...

ultimately, the bonus favors the regular grinders. when i saw i had a $75 bonus, I was like thanks FTP, i would be ecstatic if it were like 300+usd bonus but it's better than nothing. I don't think it's inefficient though, at the end of the day it's still a BONUS, so it all depends on how much you play.

gl at the tables

novagalaxy said...

Exactly my point. Regular grinders gained the bonus even though they didn't necessarily have to play more games than their usual rate. So its a bonus given for no additional rake.

While the ones at the bottom who generated double or triple the normal amount of rake to FTP only got partially rewarded.

Anonymous said...

Nova, the premise that the only purpose of the bonus is to increase play is not exactly correct. Part of the reason for the bonus is to retain current (loyal) customers. So even though they don't get extra rake from the regulars it help in ensuring they stay at their site...

novagalaxy said...

I would agree to your point. But I would still argue that they could have achieved both objectives, promote loyalty and increase rake by adjusting individually the bonus instead of a shotgun approach. =)