RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

China and the Internet

As a follow-up to my previous post where I described how laggy and weird the internet connection in my China hotel was. Well, it seems I was actually correct in my suspicions. I just read in the Wall Street Journal today the following and I quote

"The China government blocks any site with words that might indicate objectionable content, according to University of California at Davis researchers. Although the blocking is inconsistent. 28% of Web sites with blacklisted words still reached their destination"

2 comments:

11Finger said...

Hmmm if you play online poker in China and win would you be liable for taxes in China ? Wonder how that would work...

novagalaxy said...

Hmm.. good question...I'm guessing it would depend on whether you are a Chinese citizen or not.

But here in the Philippines, I'm pretty sure nobody declares online wins. And I don't think the BIR has any way of checking.

One of the advantages of living in a 3rd world country, heheh