RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Thursday, May 10, 2007

5 is the magic number

During the past week, I managed to play in 3 more tourneys. All 5.50 buy-ins, between 300 to 400 players. Busted out in two and placed 5th on one for around $100.

I know, 5th again. If I recall correctly, I think I've placed 5th three times already from the time I started playing MTTs more frequently. I don't know if I should consider this good news or bad news.

Maybe good in the sense that I've been playing consistent and making final tables every once in a while. But bad news in the sense that I've come close to winning some damn tourneys a couple of times but just falling a little bit short. I've said it before and I will say it again, the variance is just amazingly wide in MTTs and luck has to be with you to take down the win.

One notable hand I remember that got me the ITM. I believe there was around 28 players left, top 20 gets paid. I got Q10 in dealer position. Raise 4xBB. BB calls. Flop was Q 9 7. BB checks. I bet about half of the pot. BB calls. Turn is a 10 which gave me 2 pairs. BB pushes all in and he's got me covered. I think for awhile, there was no flush draw and I didn't think he had a set. I don't know if you could let go of this hand at this point, but I couldn't so I called for the rest of my chips. BB shows KJ for the made straight. Arrgh... I bang my head on the table. Of course, the poker gods are not that cruel most of the time. River shows another 10 which gives me the full house. I double up and coast comfortably into the money.

I bust out when I push with an A10s only to run into AK. Having used up all my mojo in that Q10 hand, there was no miracle this time around. Good Game. My next run at MTTs will be the election weekend. So hopefully I do well.

3 comments:

toybits3 said...

thanks for responding to my comment, i have another question if ok lang :)

i have a min requirement of 50 buyins for an SnG tournament (10+1 = 550 min bankroll), I'm thinking of making it 100 buyins for an MTT tournament (550 bankroll - 5.50 MTT)

For rebuys since i plan on having an addon, i would place the addon as an additional cost - 5+.50, 5 addon - total cost would be 10.50

what do you think about this?


by the way (you might know this already), i think the best MTTs are the pokerstars tourneys and us Filipinos now have access to it through moneybookers

good luck to us and thanks again!

novagalaxy said...

No problem. Ask away. I do have to warn you that my experience is also not that extensive. We are all pretty much learning as we go along.

50 buyin requirement for SNGs is good in my opinion. Actually conservative and safe already.

As to 100 buy ins for tourneys. It might be difficult to implement if you think of it in that way, unless you plan to play one kind of tourney all the time like an SNG, therefore you can count buy-ins.

But that might be hard in MTTs as you want to take advantage of your available time and different tourneys with different buy ins and schedules will be available to you during your free time.

Personally, i do it as a percentage of my bankroll. Right now, my unwritten rule is, I will not stake more than 5% of my bankroll in any single tourney.

So if let's say my starting bankroll is $500. Then 5% of that is $25. So I only join tourneys with buy-ins of $25 or less. Turneys like 5.50's, 10+1s, 20+2s are all fair game. But I do not join $50 buy in tourneys. Unless I win a ticket in a satellite.

This percentage stays fixed but the buy-ins then becomes flexible. As you start winning in tourneys, your bankroll increases, and your max buy in will also increase. But that is OK since you can now afford it.

If you lose, then the max buy in slowly goes down. But then there is no big risk of going bankrupt. It just means you play in lower buy in tourneys.

Rebuys and addons, you count the same way. If your current max buy in is $25, then I buy in for let's say 5 and I know I can only afford rebuys of up to 20.

I hope its helpful =)

I don't have an account in pokerstars but I have heard about their tourneys. Currently sticking to click2pay sites. But I will check out moneybookers.

Anonymous said...

By the way, when i say "tourneys" in the above post, i am referring to MTTs.

nova