RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

When tilting is good...

I was playing an $11 Turbo SNG the other night. Everything was going well, we were down to 4 and I had the 2nd largest stack. I just finished 2nd in the other SNG that I was playing so I was confident and playing solid. I was gonna call it a night after this table planning to end on a good note.

That is until I flopped a set against the large stack who then proceeded to call 3/4 pot bets on the flop and turn. He was a conservative player and he pushes all-in after the river card when I checked after a 3rd heart showed.

If I had folded, I would have lost some chips but would still have enough left to be comfortably ahead of the short stack. The thing is I knew he made the flush. But I couldn't let go of the set and he eventually shows the King high flush to bust me out in 4th.

Serves me right. I had already analyzed the hand/moves and knew his probable holding but still couldn't let go. Normally, I take SNG losses quite well knowing its part of the deal. But the way I busted out on this one puts me on massive tilt.

So I immediately register for a $22 Turbo. I normally don't play at these stakes. But I was fuming about the loss and I wanted to make back the profit ASAP. Well, if the poker gods were going to teach me a lesson about bankroll management, this looks to be the best time to do it. We were down to 5 and I had the shortest stack when suddenly I go on a massive heater. I get AQ twice in a row for some nice pots. Then when we were down to 4, short stack goes all in with AQ. Lo and behold, I get AK for the automatic call. Dominated hand and I bust him out for the ITM.

Now I'm confident and solid 3 handed play with some nice bluffs thrown in gives me 1st place. So I not only make up the loss, I get a significant profit to end the day. Wahahah. I know, its a dumb and dumber moment and I wouldn't recommend what I did to serious poker players everywhere.

But to answer the question. When is tilting good ? When you're lucky. =)

No comments: