RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Right or Wrong ?

Last night, I was playing in a $6.50 SNG at FTP. We were down to 4 and I had the lowest stack. Was basically just looking for the right time to push. But lo and behold, 3rd place guy suddenly goes all in, gets called by big stack and proceeds to bust him out giving me a sure 3rd and ITM.

Just two hands later. 2nd place guy also goes all in after flop and called by big stack guy again. And he busts him out again.

So without really doing anything from the bubble, I now have sure second. I had about 2K in chips against 12K which was a pretty bleak situation. Then suddenly I noticed that Big Stack guy kept folding and folding fast which means only one thing in FTP : he was disconnected.

So my question is, what do you do in this situation? (1) Do you steal blinds like crazy ? or (2) do you act like a gentleman and wait for him to reconnect, since basically his play is the only reason you even got to 2nd?

Well, I'm not going to pretend that I took the high road and did option 2. Heheh ... because I started to steal his blinds. My logic and I know that this is only a lame excuse is that I can't wait forever and he might not come back anyway. His house could have been struck by lightning and his broadband connection got fried. =)

Of course, after a few minutes or so, he managed to reconnect and I managed to steal enough such that we had even stacks. To his credit, he didn't say anything. No yapping about how I took advantage of the situation.

A few hands later I was slightly ahead in chips. He raises, I look down at A-5 and push. He calls and shows A-10. Flop was blanks, turn was a five and no miracle at the river. And I take down 1st.

Oops ....

Your comments about what you would do in the same situation would be highly appreciated. As poker players, are we obligated to act morally ? I mean this was just low buy-in so no real damage done, but I heard about something similar which happened in the Ultimatebet 200K guaranteed during HU play where the difference between 1st and 2nd was in the tens of thousands of dollars.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

r u kidding me? you don't even know the other person. stealing is the correct move. no man's land ang online poker, no mercy. if he had a lousy connection, then he deserved to lose.

lawrence

novagalaxy said...

Heheh ... well, i'm not as bloodthirsty as you.

There was a slight guilt bec the suckout at the end was like rubbing salt to an already open wound ... although wifey had a good laugh when she heard the story ... sobrang malas daw nung guy

Anonymous said...

I've been on both sides of the fence numerous times and what I usually do when I'm on the "lucky" side is - steal, steal and steal... Not really sure if it's "morally correct" but when I'm the one that gets disconnected and the other players steal from me I don't feel bad and take it as part and parcel of playing online.... --- 11Finger

novagalaxy said...

hey finger, nice to hear from you. Are you still playing poker? I don't read updates from your blog anymore.

ivegotdnuts said...

i always wait for my opponents HU when they disconnect but they won't return the favor when i get discon'd...??? :)

Anonymous said...

Nah don't really play anymore just read the blogs...

novagalaxy said...

why are you not playing ? too busy ? of course, none of my business, just curious why you stopped.