RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Sunday, October 4, 2009

I made 2nd by folding AA

Just finished playing the above tournament. 271 players with 504 rebuys and 126 addons. Buy in of only $3.30. These are the kind of donkaments one tries to avoid playing for the sake of maintaining one's sanity. But sometimes when luck goes your way. It's still a good return on a $6 investment.

Played basically ABC poker. Doubled up on my KKs and AAs in the early part. Went into the money (50 players) with a short stack. Then proceeded to play aggressive short stack poker. Got lucky once when I pushed Q6s in the dealer position. SB called with JJ. The Q flopped and allowed me to survive.

Went into the final table with an average stack. Then went into a heater of AQs and AJs and eliminated a guy to bring my stack up to around 300k which was 2nd in chips at that point. Then this hand came up when there was 9 of us left.

I got AA in early position. Raised 3xBB. Got called by chip leader at BB. Flop is K J 9. Chip leader checked. I made a 1/2 Pot bet. Villain called quickly. Turn is another J. Vilain bets pot at this point which was ringing alarm bells but I made the call. River is a harmless looking 5. Villain puts me all in and he's got me covered. I had about 140k left behind. Blinds were still at 4k-8k. So still a lot of poker left with my stack. I tanked then decided to fold.

I actually think it was a wrong read on my part as succeeding plays with the guy showed me that he was actually a fish overplaying top and middle pairs. But I made the fold and it allowed me to finish in 2nd place. The villain chipleader busted out in 5th if I'm not mistaken.

So all's well that ends well. =)