RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Dipping into the Waters

OK. My first post. Let's see if I can keep this blog interesting and fun. Obviously, I'm gonna talk about the game of poker in general. My own experiences, tribulations and bad beats. Hopefully, as I grow in skill, I'll be able to post stuff that other people can learn from.

A short intro. I only started playing poker early 2006. Influenced by all the World Poker Tour TV shows in our cable channel, I thought that I'd give it a try. Downloaded a pirated copy of Poker Superstars for the PC and learned some of the game mechanics from there.

Then the first PPT Tournament came up. I told my wife that I wanted to try qualifying for the main event by joining a satellite. Heck, if I could regularly beat Gus Hansen and Phil Ivey in my PC. Then what chance do these other donks have. She looked at me funny and thought I was crazy.

To make a long story short, I managed to join an Elbow Room Satellite. My first poker event playing with real life people ..... 11 person SNG ..... 3,000 buy in ........ quite steep but I was paying for the experience....

And to make the story even shorter ......... I won. Don't ask me how. Call it beginner's luck. Didn't know what the heck I was doing, played clueless poker but just got lucky with nice hands ......... other guys were looking at me funny ......... but in the end, I was the last man standing and I got a certificate for the main event. Ecstatic wouldn't even describe my feelings then. My wife couldn't believe it and told me to sell my certificate, don't push your luck .. yada..yada. HAH! I thought to myself, what an easy game, you donkeys might as well give me my 1 million now and save everybody all the trouble.

Of course, during the main event, I busted out pretty early. Overplayed an AJ suited against an AK. Certainly pricked my bubble of invincibility. Heheh. But this is officially where I got the poker bug.

Fast Forward to now.

Well, it's now nearing the end of 2006. I am mostly an online SNG player now. I have a few months poker experience under my belt and I've won and lost my share of the pots . To give a rough assessment of my status, in the 4 months that I've been playing online regularly, I did manage to stay positive and my tiny bankroll, well let's just say it has grown a bit. So I guess that's not so bad.

And this is where this poker blog starts.

No comments: